On May 17th, 2020, Amnesty International USA Local Group 37 hosted a virtual meeting and featured CFU’s Executive Director, Rushan Abbas, who presented on the Uyghur genocide. It was a successful presentation with a lot of involvement from everyone who attended. Many were moved by Rushan’s personal stories, disturbed at the oppression Uyghurs are experiencing both in East Turkistan and abroad, and moved to further action. Given that concentration camps and crematoria are being established in the 21st century took many by surprise. It is these shocking truths that more people need to be aware of.…Read More
CFU Press Release
For Immediate Release
May 19, 2020, 4:00 p.m. EST
Campaign for Uyghurs: www.campaignforuyghurs.org
Laylat al-Qadr, the night that the holy Quran was revealed, is a night of extreme importance for Muslims around the world. Campaign for Uyghurs extends greetings to the brothers and sisters in the Muslim community and asks for their remembrance of the Uyghur community in prayer on this occasion. …Read More
1. If you are not sure who you Representative(s) is/are, go to https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative and enter your zip code to get the information for your member of Congress.
2. Call the U.S. House switchboard at (202) 224-3121. If you cannot get through the first time that you call, please keep trying as the switchboard may be extremely busy!
3. Follow the prompts or say the name of which member of Congress you wish to speak to.
4. A staff person will answer the phone. A sample message is listed below, but it is even better if you use your own message!…Read More
For immediate release
May 10th, 2020 10:00 am EDT
Campaign for Uyghurs (CFU)
On May 10th we celebrate and honor the women who love us unconditionally. Let us acknowledge their endless contributions and pivotal roles in our societies. Mothers are the permanent symbols of affection, care, protection and love that everyone so deeply craves. It is sobering to remember that at the hands of the Chinese Communist Party, millions of people do not get to experience this maternal bond. Millions of Uyghur mothers themselves, or their children, are put in concentration camps, forced labor facilities, and state-run orphanages, and consequently never heard from again. In some cases, they are forced to cut ties in an effort to protect one another. …Read More
Max Gelber, a Director of Special Projects for CFU and Staff Member from Uyghur American Association, put together a COVID-19 guide to resources. Please click here to access the document. If anyone needs help navigating resources, please contact Max Gelber (954-297-9694; Max@UyghurAA.org).
The Google Doc is an open, view-only file that he is updating as he gets new information. The guide includes information on how to access federal and state benefits (unemployment, stimulus COVID-19 stimulus payment, SNAP, Medicaid, etc) and local government/non-government assistance (utilities, rent, food, etc). While it focuses on Northern Virginia and Maryland, it also has useful information for anyone living in the US.…Read More
1. If you are not sure who your two Senators are, go to: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members then use the drop-down menu, or select a state to list all the senators and representatives from that state. As soon as you select your state, your two senators will pop up.
2. Call the Capitol switchboard at (202) 224‐3121. If you cannot get through the first time that you call, please keep trying as the switchboard may be extremely busy!
3. Follow the prompts. Press “1” to indicate you want to speak with your Senator, then say your state and press “1” to indicate that the state is correct. Finally, press “1” to connect to your first Senator’s office.…Read More